Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Perfect Bruschetta

Okay, I must admit that I am not a tomato fan .. or so I thought. I do not like ketchup, cherry tomatoes, tomato soup and a few other tomato item
BUT,
I do love Bruschetta!!!
Complements of Alyssa at Cooking a la mode

I decided to make some for my hubby and I to go along with our Italian style dinner. The only thing, I did not have fresh Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top... I just used the ready to shake on your pasta kind.
Turns out, this delicious appetizer is super easy to make and only takes a few minutes!

~Here's the what you'll need & how to~
1 loaf French bread
1/2 cup butter
Vine-riped tomatoes, diced
3-5 basil leaves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. Olive oil (I used extra virgin)
Kosher salt or grounded salt
freshly ground pepper
Fresh Parmesan cheese

In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, garlic, oil and seasonings. Let mixture rest in the fridge while you prepare toast rounds.

In a very large skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium-high heat.
(Be careful not to burn the butter or your dish will be disgusting. I burnt it the first rime and had to throw it out, wash my skillet and start again)

Slice bread into 3/4 inch slices. Toast butter on both sides until butter is absorbed and toast is lightly browned.

Remove from pan, sprinkle fresh Parmesan cheese and top with tomato mixture. Top with additional Parmesan and serve immediately.
Enjoy!

No comments: