Monday, October 4, 2010

A Trip to the ER

I have had the easiest pregnancy without any complications up until last night when I started to bleed, a lot! We quick and grabbed my medical information and headed to the Hospital. We got there around 1:30 am and could not figure out where to go! every door was locked and there was no one in sight! We finally found an open door and she directed us to the correct location. Once there I was checked in an the nurse checked my blood pressure, my temperature and put two monitors on my tummy, one to track the babies heart beat and the other to track my contractions. The baby looked great, with a very strong heartbeat and very active!

The bleeding had stopped and the nurse kept me hooked up to the machine for an hour before calling my Doctor. After the hour had passed she came back in to tell me that she originally left a message for my Doctor saying that I was fine and had no symptoms, but then quickly called him back because I was showing consecutive minor contractions. She was concerned that they could be pre-labor. My Doctor called back and said to keep me over night until he could get there to check on me himself. The contractions did not hurt, they just felt like I was holding a sit up for a few seconds.

After the long night and going to bed finally at 5 am and then being up again at 6 am, the nurses were coming in to check on me again. The contractions had stopped and there still was no bleeding. They took me down to get an ultra-sound to check on the placenta. When the ultra-sound technician was checking everything, she found what looked like an area where the placenta was becoming detached. Once my Doctor arrived, he reviewed the photos and decided that it was either that the placenta was becoming detached or there was a ruptured blood vessel and the dark area in the ultra-sound picture could have been left over blood. Since there is no way of telling he told me that I need to be on bed rest for the next couple of days and to watch for certain symptoms and if they come up to come back immediately. It has been 12 hours since I left the hospital and all is well. My lower abdomen is a little sore from the contractions but that is not a worry! The baby has been super active all day which is a very big comfort.

I am so grateful that everything is under control and that I and the baby are safe.

Since I am not able to fly down to California for the long weekend to start getting all the baby bedding and other items made and ready, my wonderful Mom, Sister Nicole and Aunt Lisa have decided to come to me! we are going to set up a crafting center right in my house and work together from Tuesday till Friday or Saturday! I am so excited! I will mostly just be giving my ideas and laying on the couch most of the time, but i'm just so grateful that they will be here and we will be getting more and more prepared!

What a day!

10 comments:

I'm Melissa... said...

Wow, SCARY! Hope things continue to get better so you're not on bed rest for too long!! Have fun crafting :)

Shauna said...

Wow, how scary! I'm so glad to hear that you and the little guy are doing well! I hope that it was only a blood vessel and not the placenta. Good luck with the bed rest thing and the rest of your pregnancy!

Brittany said...

Kari! what can i do for you?? let me cook dinner for you both one night! really i would be happpy to help! let all of us take care of you and your little guy, we need him to cook a lot longer! :)
Loves!

erika herman said...

I am glad everything seems to be alright. I hope it was just a false alarm. :)

Holli said...

wow that is scary. I'm glad your doing ok now :) I hope there are no more problems like that and take it easy.

Courtney N said...

I am so glad that you and the baby are ok! I was so worried!

Courtney said...

Oh my gosh I am so glad everything is ok! That would be so scary! So fun that your fam is going to come to you. Hope everything continues to go well.

Stout House said...

What a relief that everything is ok!! Now just rest up. Wow.. that really scared me reading that first paragraph. Everything will be fine, just rest up and have John get you some food :) lol.

Alexis Tanner Lane said...

Kari that is exactly what happened to me when I was 11 weeks! The sac pulled away from the wall and I ended up having to go on bed rest for 3 weeks. At least you can still feel the baby. I've waited all this time and I think I'm finally starting to feel it move! We're so excited to have our ultra sound tomorrow and will hopefully see that everything is ok. Such a scary time, but it gets better. Good luck on bed rest and let me know if you need anything or want to talk about it. I've been there...

chantel said...

Yikes, glad everything is o.k. Ihad the same thing happen to me when I was 20 weeks with Jet. It happend a few times actually and as my due date got closer it happend more ofter. They didn't know what it was coming from but when I delivered there was a big clot on the placenta... I guess it was no biggie, had not complications other than the bleeding. Maybe you have the same thing.
Did i mention you are the cutest pregnant girl.